Young-Conkey Clan

Friday, March 28, 2008

Final day in London

Well, my class ended a night early so I took advantage of my last day and went to the city. A very long day of catching trains and walking the ENTIRE city. I'm not kidding. My legs and back are killing me. At one point I walked across a bridge and looked down the Thames and realized how far I had walked when I saw the bridge way off in the distance that was near where I started. A hot shower did me good tonight.

I toured the Tower of London today after having my English Cream Tea (that would be a pot of tea, scone, clotted tea and jam). Really cool. It was miserably cold and rainy went I went into the chapel and then gorgeous sun when I came out. Divine intervention maybe?? Speaking of, the highlight of my day was going to light a candle and listen to Evensong in St Paul's Cathedral today. Inspiring, beautiful . . . words can't express the experience of listening to the choir and organs in that gorgeous place.

Back to the Tower . . . got to see lots of weapons, armor (even for the horses!), diamonds (3,100 karat one today - dang it's big), the crown jewels, etc. The Beefeater (Kevin) that guided my tour was very fun. What is up with the narrow spiral staircases though?? Everywhere in this city. Even a small iron one today. Ok, that was kind of neat. I did finally break down and go to Starbucks today. I have been good about staying with the local flavor, but there are only so many times I can walk by one and not go in.

Off to the airport in the morning - ready to go home. Great trip and much seen, but I'm ready for my bed and my family. Enjoy the photos!
________________________________

These are photos from the Tower of London. Here are the tower ravens - it is legend that if the ravens ever leave this place, London and the royal reign will fall. They have clipped their wings to keep them from leaving -

This is a Roman wall from the 11th century -


The White tower -

Nice rack, eh?


Not so nice rack . . .



They had the row of kings - their armor and a replica of their horse - kind of neat -

This is the green where Ann Boleyn and Lady Jane Gray were executed - in front of the Queen's residence. (If you look close, you will see a guard walking the grounds in front of the buildings) -
Here is Kevin -

The oldest building and the original Tower of London -
St Paul's Cathedral - would have loved to have taken pictures inside of the amazing painted and gilded ceilings, but thought that might be rude to do during service -

The white building is the Globe - Shakespeare's theatre -

I turned a corner and about ran into this building. Imposing and beautiful - known as the Gherkin -

Here is the Millenium Bridge -

My view from the Millenium Bridge - see the Tower Bridge way down there? That is where my walk started - AND I walked through the city all around and ended back there. Tired feet . . .
Here is the Tower Bridge (where I started and finished my day). Had to end with this photo as I have absolutely fallen in love with this landmark. So beautiful and will forever be a symbol of London in my mind. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home